Charles Campbell, Thu 2011-04-21 @ 16:56:30-0400:
> I agree that pathogen makes plugins easier to remove if the plugin is
> not in vimball format.  With vimball format, its simply :RmVimball
> pluginname , so the two methods are about equally easy to use as
> regards plugin removal.
>
> Insofar as upgrading a plugin is concerned; well, a plugin not using
> pathogen would likely just overwrite its previous component(s), so
> upgrading isn't likely to be easier (the only exception I see is where
> a component is removed).

Good points. However, pathogen confers the additional benefit (for those
who want it) of making it simpler to version-control your .vim
directory. I've seen a number of people (myself included) who use Git to
track changes to .vim/, and install plugins as Git submodules with
pathogen. Since a lot of plugin authors host their code on Github (and
there's a mirror of vim.org's scripts repository there), this makes it
trivially easy to bring all your plugins up to date with a single
command.

That said, Vimballs are a fine solution for anyone who doesn't care
about that. But unless every plugin you want to use is available as a
Vimball, I think it's cleaner just to use pathogen, and enforce the
"good hygiene" from the outside.