Thank you John, Frans, and Albie!
your answers were timely, educational, and helped me solve my problem—much
appreciated. For the record I am using Unix (Mac OS X).

I've only been using Vim for a week now, but with every passing day am more
and more impressed by its power.

My original problem was that I wanted to delete all the blank lines in my
document. Previously, in BBEdit I would search for "\r\r" and replace with
"\r", so that's why I was searching for carriage returns in the first place.
But I just discovered a much slicker workaround in Vim: :g/^$/d
(source: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Remove_unwanted_empty_lines)
 Awesome!