On 08/23/2011 03:02 AM, Tom wrote:
Scripting solutions aside, I thought the mailinglist would be
a good place to talk with developers of vim (or policy makers)
on their view on this. Do they post here?

There are a number of Vim devs on this list, though many just lurk and pop up as needed. Given my gut feeling after a decade or so on the vim-ml, I'm guessing that your chances of getting the behavior of :e modified is close to nil. Especially since a fairly easy scripting solution is readily available and it changes the semantic meaning of ":edit" (from "I want to edit this file" to "I want to add this list of files to the buffer-list and then edit the first/last of them"). You might have a stronger argument for getting :badd to take a glob-spec as the purpose of :badd is to add buffers to the buffer-list, but short of scripting, there's no current mechanism for adding a glob-spec to the buffer-list.

And as for "policy makers", while Bram mostly (short of forking) has final say, he's pretty in-tune with the consensus as defined by some internal weighted sum of his own opinions, mailing-list member opinion, and TODO items detailed at

  :help vote-for-changes

-tim'