On 09/09/11 13:45, John Goche wrote:
Hello,

I like the autoindent feature which works when I code in javascript.
However I don't want any tabs in there, I just want spaces.

I'd check your 'expandtab' setting:

  :set et?

To get the behavior you want, it should be set to 'expandtab' instead of 'noexpandtab'.

  :help 'et'

If you want it across the board, you can put the following line in your vimrc:

  set et

To control the number of spaces expanded, twiddle the 'shiftwidth' and 'tabstop' settings to your preferred number of spaces-per-tab.

-tim