On 25/09/11 02:46, porphyry5 wrote:
One by one I have appended a number of lines to a register ("z).  I
need to sort them and then paste them at the start of the document.
Without complaint, vim accepts the command
:"zsort
but the content of "z is unchanged.  Is it possible to do this in the
register, or must I paste it into the document and sort it there?

It may be possible to do it in the register, but it is easier to do it in the text:

        0put z
        1,.sort

or maybe

        0put z
        mark z
        1,.sort
        1,'z yank z

if you want to yank the sorted lines back into the register.

Best regards,
Tony.
182. You may not know what is happening in the world, but you know
     every bit of net-gossip there is.