On 02/11/11 03:53, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
Hi,

the zsh I am using is recoginzing ALT-backspace as "delete one
word backward", which is very handy.

Unfortunately I have not found a way to map this in a similiar
way for vim.

How can I map ALT-backspace in vim?

mcc

In Console Vim, it may depend on your terminal: I'm not sure that every terminal passes something recognizable to Vim when you hit Alt-Backspace.

In gvim, it's <M-BS> and my gvim (with GTK2/Gnome2 GUI) sees it.

To see if Vim gets something when you hit that key combo, open Vim in Insert mode in an empty buffer and hit Ctrl-V followed by Alt-Backspace, then Ctrl-K followed by Alt-Backspace. If you don't get anything, Vim hasn't seen the keypress. If it sees something, in gvim you should see the <> equivazlent in both cases; in Console Vim you should see the bytes passed by the keyboard interface after Ctrl-V, or the <> equivalent (here, <M-BS>, unless the keyboard passes something else) after Ctrl-K.

In Insert mode, to delete the word before the cursor you can hit Ctrl-W, see :help i_CTRL-W

In Normal mode, you should be able to use Shift-Left as a modifier to the d (delete) command, to delete [count] words leftwards, or the command daw ("delete a word") to delete the word under the cursor (on both sides) and the white space on one side of it. See :help text-objects

Best regards,
Tony.
209. Your house stinks because you haven't cleaned it in a week.