On 10/11/11 05:29, Ben Fritz wrote:

On Nov 8, 11:07 pm, Steve liu<sliu....@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Marc Weber<marco-owe...@gmx.de>  wrote:
Excerpts from Steve liu's message of Wed Nov 09 05:47:10 +0100 2011:
I finally got it. I don't know your words at all yesterday. So I learn
'register' and 'buffer' the whole morning. And finally got it.
I now know how to redirect output in vim.

It doesn't matter how you did it. It matters that you did it.
Congratulation!

Keep in Mind that VimL is nice for scripting tasks but doesn't scale
very well. Thus for larger projects consider interfacing with another
language such as python, perl, ruby, (there are countless others)

[?]

Probably Marc is referring to a few things:

1. Vim's internal scripting language (sometimes called either VimL or
vimscript) can be hard to use, because a large number of user settings
can affect script execution
2. VimL is often slower than other interpreted languages such as
python, perl, ruby, tcl, scheme, etc. and almost always slower than
compiled languages like C or C++.
3. Other modern languages have more support/examples/read-made
libraries (though probably not more documentation), more common syntax/
semantics, better debugging support, cleaner object-oriented methods,
etc.
4.  All those interpreted languages I mentioned above have an
interface which can be used from within Vim to run a script in this
other language and control Vim functionality. Some very impressive
plugins are written in other languages, e.g. the gundo plugin, written
mostly in python (I believe partially to make it easier to pull in
tree-rendering code from Mercurial's source code).

So Marc is recommending, if you do anything "heavy", consider a
different language than Vim's internals.

That said, I've never felt the need to resort to a different language
when hacking Vim.

Neither have I; and it should also be remembered that Vim is often compiled without MzScheme, or without Python, etc., but never without Vim-script capability — indeed, the latter cannot be left out at compile-time. Parts of it can: for instance the stripped-down Vim installed as "vi" on some Linux distros comes with (among others) no syntax highlighting, no split windows and no arithmetic evaluation — but it will still accept vim-script language (of a kind) in its vimrc.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
A chubby man with a white beard and a red suit will approach you soon.
Avoid him.  He's a Commie.