On 22/11/11 00:35, Haider Raza wrote:

I have tried the 'let g:netrw_ftp_cmd="ncftp"' command in vim and in the
_vimrc file. I also edited the netwr.vim file directly and put ncftp
there but when I look at the dos box that comes up when the ftp request
is made to edit a file, I see that vim is using ftp.exe to make the
connection. Please help, I have searched google upside down for an
answer but apparently nobody has had this problem.

Thanks,

Haider Raza

Is ncftp.exe in your PATH ?

Even if it is, if it doesn't work this way, you may want to use a full path, and with 8.3 elements to avoid spaces, maybe something like

        :let g:netrw_ftp_cmd = 'C:\PROGRA~1\ncftp\ncftp.exe'

(where PROGRA~1 is the 8.3 name of the "Program Files" folder), or similar. (Check first where the ncftp executable is found.)

The "normal" place for this command is in your vimrc, so that it is executed before the various netrw plugins are sourced. The first of these (sourced at startup) is $VIMRUNTIME/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim ; there are others which are sourced when needed.

The command
        :scriptnames
will tell you which Vim scripts were sourced, and in which sequence. If your vimrc is not (with the correct path) at or near the top of the list, you have a problem.

Typing
        :echo g:netrw_ftp_cmd
or even
        :echo "'" . g:netrw_ftp_cmd . "'"
will tell you what the variable is set to at any given time. You could also, if nothing else avails, use debug mode (:help debug-mode) to interrupt Vim in the middle of what it is doing and see how the value changes.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
Be security conscious -- National defense is at stake.