On 01/20/12 17:31, Gary Johnson wrote:
Someone just posted a question to superuser in which they mentioned
discovering that Shift-Enter is the same as Ctrl-F.  I experimented
a little and discovered that that's true, but only in gvim, not
vim, and it's not documented anywhere that I could find, searching
for "shift.enter", "s.enter", or "s.cr".

It's not a mapping, as ":map<S-CR>" doesn't show anything and it
works when gvim is started as "gvim -N -u NONE".

My keyboard, using either GNOME Terminal or xterm with vim, doesn't
seem to generate anything special for Shift-Enter, just ^M.  I guess
that's why it doesn't work with vim.

I experimented on a Linux system, but I see that it behaves the same
in gvim on Windows.

Is there some reason that this isn't documented, or am I just not
able to find it?

I see similar to you: on Win32 and Linux gvim, it acts as ctrl+F with no signs of a mapping. Executing it in a file with "-W keystrokes.txt" on the command line shows that gvim is receiving the sequence "0x80 0xfc 0x02 0x0d" when shift+enter is pressed (in both Win32 and Linux gvims). The alternatives shown at ":help CTRL-F" shows shift+down (which sequences as "0x80 0xfd 05") and PageDown (which sequences as "0x80 0x6b 0x4e") as built-in. It is mappable in gvim with

  :inoremap <s-cr> hello

In the terminals I use (xterm & rxvt), neither distinguishes <s-cr> from the plain <cr>.

So I can't help explain it or point to it in the docs, but I can at least corroborate what you're seeing with a few more data-points.

-tim