On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:35:18PM EDT, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Jun 4, 4:00 pm, Chris Jones <cjns1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > All the same, I'd be curious to know what the Konsole developers had in
> > mind when they implemented 16M colors support .
>
> konsole implements the xterm 256-color controls (256 * 256 * 256).
> It's not 16M * 16M * 16M.

My impression was that xterm lets you specify 256 colors using the
#000000 .. #ffffff syntax.. in effect letting you override the defaults
and define a custom 256-color palette chosen among the possible 16M..

I became curious about Konsole supporting true color so I booted an iso
that ships it and ran the following bash commands:

| g=0
| b=0
|
| for r in $(seq 0 255)
|   do
|     echo -e "\033[48;2;${r};${g};${b}m $r $g $b"
|   done

If saw what definitely looked like a gradient that went from pure black
to the brightest red with 256 intermediate shades of red.

I ran the same script on an xterm (debian stable v261-1) and afaict it
did not understand the above syntax: the background color remained the
original default black.

Is this something you enable at ‘./configure’ time.. or is xterm's
syntax different from Konsole's..?

Back on Konsole, I tried a similar script that goes through all 16M
color combinations:

| for r in $(seq 0 255)
|   do
|     for g in $(seq 0 255)
|       do
|         for b in $(seq 0 255)
|           do
|             echo -e -n "\033[38;2;${r};${g};${b}33m█████████"
|           done
|       done
|   done

This seemed to work as well, but the output was so large that I can't be
sure I was really getting 16M colors. Even with the smallest font
I could find, no way I could display it all on one screen. I guess I'd
have to come up with something a little smarter.

In any case, my point was that I don't see this feature as something
very useful.. unless you want to develop for Konsole exclusively using
hard-coded escape sequences.

As expected, I didn't see a terminfo entry that had ‘colors#16777216’
and ‘pairs#281474976710656’...

That's why I was wondering what the Konsole developers were planning to
do with this feature and went to the trouble of coding it.

CJ

--
WE GET SIGNAL