> It looks like this only occurs when the listing doesn't take up the entire
> buffer screen. For example, I opened a dir in netrw that had many subdirs
> that took up the entire length of the buffer and this redrawing did not
> take place. If I switch to a dir (as noted in the original post) that
> contains only a few items, the behavior mentioned in the original post
> occurs.
>
> -Bart

Correction: The strange re-painting behavior does not occur when the dir is
full of subdirs in the initial window (takes up entire window), but it
*does* occur if there is a combination of subdirs and files taking up the
entire initial window.

(Apology for incorrect use of 'buffer' in previous post. Should have been
'window'.)

-Bart