Ben Fritz wrote:
On Monday, August 20, 2012 3:20:00 PM UTC-5, Linda W wrote:
Linda W wrote:

Sorta weird -- vim supposed to be in UTF-8, perl as well, but UTF-8 source
gets complicated...  Ya gotta wonder about claims of UTF-8 compat when it's
so hard to get basic parts of the UTF-8 alphabet not to be flagged as errors.

Ya gotta wonder why you think you'll ever get help on this list when almost
every post of yours contains inflammatory remarks like that one.
---
   But it's NOT "personally" directed against vim  it can be
about perl, about Windows, about almost all of the implementors
that make claims of Unicode compatibility but then don't follow
through with getting bugs ironed out even almost 2 decades after it's
introduction.  So please don't assume I was directing it at anyone
maintaining vim.  In fact, that's why I phrased my question the
way I did:

"Does the lack of response indicate that perl-syntax on vim can't
easily support UTF-8?"
^^^^^^--- I did say easily, as I know UTF-8 support is anything
BUT.
   You can call me insensitive or whatever .. but Ben H. also
directly addressed the 'easily' part:

"Vim's regular expressions aren't great for character sets that
don't fit into (single) 8-bit characters".

RE's are very efficient ways to work with character set encodings.
And I would say to Ben, that his time would be better spent urging
whoever is able to improve 'vim's support of Unicode' to do so --
that way he could spend his time most effectively, as could other
groups and with changes in a central place, where vim's UTF-8 is
handled, could be leveraged to benefit a bunch of languages -- not
just perl.

That would be a perfectly fine response for me and would be the
route I'd rather seen taken.   One has to look at what's efficient for
vim as a whole.

As you already asked to withdraw from the discussion I won't address
your other points, but hopefully this clarifies my attitude -- as,
unfortunately, what I write is often "heard" in ways other than what I
would like.   I've had people quote what I said a and respond to some
imagined point that was completely at odds with or certainly not said
in what I wrote.
My problem is that don't have a long memory things people did wrong (except
for presidents, maybe)... which ends up with me not giving sufficient weight
or thought to impact on my future communications by those who do.  It's
not like I'm entirely unaware of the problem nor is it something I haven't
worked to address, however, I tend to respond more from the moment, not
history -- I'm slowly learning to respond from history and not to the
current circumstances -- as that's the norm, but it takes time.  Of
course I hope to not go too far in that direction, as too much of that,
and it just seems unhealthy to me.

Feel free to respond to me off list if you don't want to respond on list
and I'll try to be sure to respond in kind.  But I wanted to post a response
to your message in others felt similarly.

Linda