On 26/01/13 15:34, Russell Urquhart wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:21:45AM +0100, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

As has repeatedly been said on this list, you should NEVER change
anything in the $VIMRUNTIME tree because any update can do away with
your changes, without telling you that it did. You should rather save
the modified version of makemenu.vim as $VIM/vimfiles/makemenu.vim
(system-wide on any platform) or ~/.vim/makemenu.vim (single-user on
Unix-like systems) or ~/vimfiles/makemenu.vim (single-user on Windows).

Best regards,
猥ony.
--
Why don't elephants eat penguins ?

Because they can't get the wrappers off ...
Hi Tony,

Yes you are correct, i will update my user makemenu.vim accordingly. I, while i
was doing this, was thinking the same thing, what do i do, if/when i update my
vim. And this will work, right, because i will source THIS makemenu.vim, rather
than the system wide one, right?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Russ

Hm, after some more searching, I could find no "makemenu.vim" at any depth under $VIMRUNTIME in the Vim distribution. Where I see it is in the source, at ./runtime/makemenu.vim, and it says it is used by "make menu" in the src directory, which implies a compile-time rather than run-time use.

I suppose you might create an unnamed branch in your hg clone, with your modified runtime/makemenu.vim, and then use

        cd src
        # source any script to set config settings
        make menu

to generate the menu.

See also
        hg help branch
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm

The above assumes a Unix-like OS. I'm not sure which differences (if any) would be required to generate the menus on Windows. It may or may not depend on which compiler you use to compile Vim.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there."