> Oops, I guess You wanted to DISABLE for files larger than a certain size,
> not ENABLE them. You could do the same thing in reverse, or potentially
> enable by default and then disable locally in a BufReadPre. I'm not sure
> whether that works or not.

Thanks for the suggestions Ben and John, I went with the following:
  "try to disable swapfiles for large
files

  augroup
disable_swap_large_files

autocmd!

    "5
megs

    autocmd BufRead * if getfsize(expand('%:p')) > 5242880

          \ setlocal noswapfile noundofile |
endif
  augroup END

It seems that the backup option is a global one so I didn't change that one.

Regards,
Jorge