On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 4:08:41 PM UTC-5, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:43 PM, Sven Guckes <guc...@guckes.net> wrote:
> > * Amit Christian <isong4wors...@gmail.com> [2016-09-13 17:31]:
> >> I find it still difficult to go to next lines or browsing
> >> up or down through the text.  Can any one please help me
> >> with efficient use of working with text without a usual
> >> j,k,h,l use?  Are there resources or help on internet?
> >> What are your strategies to work with text?
> >
> > i dont really see a reason not to use hjkl for moving the cursor. ;)
> > but of course there are many more command for motions/movements.
> > have you read the text on motions yet?  see ":help motion.txt".
> > sure.. it is 1300+ lines.. but that's how much there is! :-)
> >
> > Sven
> >
> > --
> > Vim for Programmers - by Julius Plenz (and Sven Guckes) 2008-09-03
> > http://www.guckes.net/talks/vim_for_programmers.en.txt  2010-07-16
> > An overview to the most important commands for programming within C -
> > and some important options - all in 4000bytes, 68 rows, and 80 columns.
>
> Personally I see no reason to restrict oneself to only part of the
> capabilities of Vim. For moving the cursor, and depending on
> circumstances, I use h, j, k, l, gj, gk, →, ↓, ↑, ←, <Home>, <End>,
> Ctrl+←, Ctrl+→, f<character>, t<character>, <LeftMouse>, gg, G, :1234,
> /pattern, ?pattern, :0/pattern, n, N, and possibly others still.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

Thanks Tony for your comment.

I definitely am not planning to disable those keys forever. But just to learn,
develop habit (and possibly muscle memory!) to use other quicker motion keys.

Honestly, from my experience in last few days, I already have become more
efficient than my habit of hitting j,k's multiple times to browse/edit code. It
has been little frustrating at times, when I felt I can code it much faster
with those keys enabled. But I have started to see the benefits.

Thanks.