> On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 5:40 PM, Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
> <zyx....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Vim supports between 2 (2^1) and 16777216 (2^24) colors, depending on
>>> how many _it can tell that_ your terminal supports. This is set by the
>>> termcap variable t_Co or by the equivalent terminfo setting, and these
>>> settings depend in turn on the 'term' setting (q.v.) If $TERM is not
>>> set, and Vim has no way of knowing otherwise, it will set an
>>> OS-dependent 'term' default: for 32- or 64-bit Windows, 'term'
>>> defaults to "win32". To see the number of colours Vim thinks that your
>>> terminal supports, use
>>>     :set t_Co?
>>
>> &t_Co will never give you 24-bit value. Also termcap/terminfo do not
>> normally contain information about 24-bit colors support, though tmux
>> developers has selected some custom setting they use to detect 24-bit
>> support. Vim AFAIK does not use it.
>
> You can set t_Co yourself early in the vimrc (before any of the following:
>     runtime vimrc_example.vim
>     source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim
>     " or the same for defaults.vim
>     syntax on
>     syntax enable
>     colorscheme something-or-other
> ) and it will stick. The problem is how to set ctermfg= and ctermbg=
> values for the desired colors, since the correspondence between GUI
> #rrggbb color values and cterm color indices is usually opaque.
>
> I just tried the following in a Huge gui-enabled Vim running in console mode:
>     set t_Co=16777216 t_Co?
> and it answered
>     t_Co=16777216
> so it _is_ possible to set that high a value. What I don't know is
> which terminals, if any, really support that many colors, nor how to
> use them, and AFAIK no pre-programmed colorscheme uses that many
> colors for ctermfg= ctermbg=

I was false when saying that you can’t set &t_Co to such value, but
this does not change the key point: terminals which support 24-bit
colors use different escape sequences for expressing such colors. So
you will not see such a high value in termcap/terminfo.

I also would not be surprised to hear that some software is written in
a way so that it supports only no more then three digits in Co
termcap/terminfo entry.