On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 10:38:34 AM UTC-7, Frank Shute wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> What you might want to do is use echom rather than plain echo.
>
> The former sticks it's output into the message buffer and you can then
> read it with:
>
> :mes
>
> HTH.

snip

> Frank

Thank you Frank, that does indeed do the job, but even better, it got me to
read :h :echom, which led to 'echo-redraw', to force any pending redraw before
issuing an :echo.  This is preferable as it gets the definition alone, without
all the other messages.  You can't take anything for granted in vim, I never
thought to look in the help for :echo, what could possibly be more
straightforward.