On Monday, 10 April 2017 13:08:26 UTC+2, Christian Brabandt  wrote:
> Hi Mikhail!
>
> On Sa, 08 Apr 2017, Mikhail V wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > there was an old thread about left margin in VIM.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/muxfGRp86zE/VokJ7LJqIIIJ
> >
> > So the proposal was supposed to help with setting up a left margin in VIM
> > and here are two related discussions on Stackoverflow:
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2531904/how-do-i-increase-the-spacing-of-the-line-number-margin-in-vim
> > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7893390/how-to-change-the-left-margin-in-gvim
> >
> > In original thread Christian Brabandt made a patch for it and I am
> > not sure whether the feature was supposed to be added or not in
> > future releases. I have read Vim 8 new features documents but
> > seems that there is nothing about it? (I still use version 7.4)
> > Probably there is something added that adresses this or planned?
> >
> > In two words, the issue description:
> > If I show line numbers, the text in main window is very close
> > to the numbers, namely only 1 char gap. The idea was to add
> > a possibility to increase the gap in some way, and it was
> > (still is?) impossible to do.
>
> I just updated the patch against current head. Getting positive feedback
> might help getting this feature included. So please test.

Thanks for reply,
I am a bit confused though, I am not so familiar with patching
and last time I've tested your patch I applied a diff file to C sources
and have compiled from source. I don't remember exactly what steps
this involved.

Is there some step-by step explanation how to do it?
and which sources I would use in this case, and which patch.

Mikhail