On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Tim Chase <v...@tim.thechases.com> wrote:

> My digging hasn't been able to turn up anything, but I was hoping for
> something that would let me easily search just code or comments to
> the exclusion of the other.  Something like (imaging a sequence like
> "\%syntax{SyntaxID}" but actual flavor/implementation is negotiable)
>
>   /\%syntax{Comment}customer\c
>
> to only search my comments for "customer\c", excluding all of the
> instances of "customer" in my codebase.
>
> Anything obvious I overlooked, or does this require deeper scripting
> with search() and then sniffing the resulting SynID value?

I wrote this plugin to address this feature:

SrchRplcHiGrp.vim : Search and/or replace based on a syntax highlight group

It supports the 3 types of visual modes (linewise, block and character).

You can either search for something in the correct highlight group, or you
can do search and replaces on those same searches.

The web page has examples of usage.

If you run into something it can't do, I am always open to suggestions.

Enjoy.
David