On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM, Pablo Giménez <pablog...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I would like to map CTRL-[ to do the same action as CTRL-T, or in
> other words
> to go back one step in the tag stack, doing a :pop command.
> It makes a lot of sense to me to use CTRL-] to go forward and CTRL-[ to go
> backwards
> in the stack.
>
> But for vim ESC and CTRL-[ seems to be the same keystroke and when I map
> CTRL-[
> it also affects the ESC key, so I can't get out from insert mode using it
> anymore.
> Is there any way to accomplish this?
> This is how I am mapping CTRL-[ now:
>
> nnoremap <silent> <C-[>   <C-T>
> vnoremap <silent> <C-[>   <C-T>
> inoremap <silent> <C-[>   <C-T>
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Un saludo
> Best Regards
> Pablo Giménez

Yes, Vim inherits this ultimately from early ASCII teletypes, which
had no separate function keys, so Esc and Ctrl-[ are both seen as
0x1B. Similarly Backspace and Ctrl-H, Tab and Ctrl-I, Ctrl-(any letter
a-z) with or without Shift, etc.

This can just as well be seen as a feature: if your Esc key is too far
out of the way, you can use Ctrl-[ instead. But as you found out,
mapping either of them applies also to the other.

Best regards,
Tony.