skeept wrote:

> On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:16:50 PM UTC-5, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 5:44 AM, skeept wrote:
> > > I have some plugins in the locations:
> > >

> > > ~/.vim/pack/bundle/start
> > > ~/.vim/pack/bundle/opt
> > >
> > > if I start vim with
> > > vim --noplugins
> > > vim -u NONE
> > >
> > > then I can load plugins from opt but not from start.
> > > So if a plugin say, unimpaired is in
> > >
> > > ~/.vim/pack/bundle/opt
> > >
> > > I can load it with
> > > packadd unimpaired
> > > (and completion works too).
> > > However if it is under start, no completion and if I try to load it
> > > explicitly I get the error:
> > >
> > > E919: Directory not found in 'packpath': "pack/*/opt/unimpaired"
> >
> > That is intentional, see :help :packadd
> > >

> > > Would it be possible to change the behavior to make it load the plugins
> > > on demand present in start when one of these 2 options are passed?
> >
> > No need. To load ~/.vim/pack/bundle/start/unimpaired.vim
> >
> > just do
> >         :runtime pack/bundle/start/unimpaired.vim
> >
> > see :help :runtime
> >

> > > Thank you,
> > > Jorge Rodrigues
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Tony.
>
> Thanks Tony,
>
> I understand that this is the implemented behavior but I am trying to argue
> that in this case the behavior should be changed to allow to add plugins from
> start when those options are passed from the command line.
>
> :runtime pack/bundle/start/unimpaired.vim
>
> in my opinion is not practical, packadd is a lot more practical as you don't
> need to specify the path, just the package name, and also completion is
> offered.
>
> I am not very familiar with vim's code base, although I compile it often for
> windows and cygwin.
>
> If in the author/maintainers opinion this behavior would be accepted I will
> try to submit a patch for this. I would not be able to do it immediately but
> within a month time.
>
> Please let me know if there is interest in doing this or not.

For :runtime we have the START argument, which makes it look under
under "start" in 'packpath'.  We could make :packadd START {name} look
in /start/ instead of /opt/.

--
We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles.  Those responsible for
sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.