On 2017-12-12, Phil Fernandez wrote:
> I downloaded the source code for the latest VIM from github and
> followed the directions for building it from source. I am on
> Ubuntu Budgie 17.10. I compiled VIM with several features that
> I wanted, such as both Python and Python3, as well as Perl and
> several other interpreters. After finishing with setting up my
> vimrc, plugins and all that good stuff, I ran apt update &&
> dist-upgrade on the terminal, and apt downloaded and installed
> a different version of VIM on my system. When I built vim I used
> the checkinstall method which allowed for easy removal later down
> the road if need be. Maybe this has something to do with it? My
> support for most of the interpreters that I built for is gone now.
> Why did apt take it upon itself to update VIM and override my
> custom built version?

The Vim that your distribution provides is generally installed in
/usr/bin and the runtime files are installed in /usr/share/vim.  The
distribution "owns" those files and is free to update them as it
chooses when you update the distribution's packages.

A Vim that you build yourself should be installed in /usr/local/bin
and the runtime files in /usr/local/share/vim.  That's where the Vim
configure and make system installs it by default.  That convention
prevents you from overwriting the distribution's files and vice
versa.

I'm not familiar with the checkinstall method.  Perhaps it puts
files under /usr instead of /usr/local by default.  If so, you
should change that.

Regards,
Gary