> Am Freitag, 2. März 2018 08:37:21 UTC+1 schrieb Anton Shepelev:
>> Hello, all
>>
>> I  am using GVim with a font that has no italic sub-
>> set.  When I edit markdown (.md) files, however, Vim
>> tries  to  render  *emphasized* text as italic.  How
>> can I prevent that?  Is it  configured  in  a  color
>> file or a syntax file?
>>
>> --
>> Please, do not forward replies to the list to my e-mail.
>
> It is set in the syntax/markdown file and links to htmlItalic:
> markdownItalic xxx links to htmlItalic
>
> You can override it in ~/.vim/after/syntax/html.vim:
> hi htmlItalic gui=NONE
>
> If you use vim inside terminal, substitute gui with term or cterm.

There is no need to use after/ directory, and especially after/syntax
which will be constantly reloaded. Sane syntax file authors (and
html.vim other is one of those) define highlight groups with
`:highlight default` which means that if highlighting group is defined
*before* sourcing syntax file then it will not be overridden, so
placing something like `hi link htmlItalic Normal` into the
colorscheme (if it is maintained by the OP) or vimrc is good and will
not create uselessly reloaded oneline files. Usage of the `:highlight
default` in syntax files aims precisely at allowing colorschemes to
provide defaults better suited to the user.