Thanks for all the replies. It seems that:

1) There's no really clean way to do it. It seems to me that there should be
something like "linedo" - analogous to "windo" and "buffdo". Of the
workarounds, the %g/./normal
method seems the best. Thanks for that.

2) It just occurred to me that, for this specific case (reformatting each
line), you could use "fmt -s" (at least on Unix/GNU version of "fmt").