On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 12:32:24 AM UTC+2, Nikolay Belikov wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've stumbled upon strange behavior in Vim 8.2 regarding `t_Co`
> variable.  This might be a bug, but more probably is just a case of
> PEBCAK, so maybe someone could point me towards what I'm doing wrong.
>
> Background: I want to use my terminal emulator (which is plain old
> `xterm`) color scheme across all TUI programs, including Vim.  I've
> added `set t_Co=16` to my `.vim/vimrc` file and expected Vim to limit
> itself to 16 base colors (at least this is what all sources on Internet
> say to do, which I managed to find).  However, it appears that Vim does
> not honor my will and resets `t_Co` to 256, unless I manually type `:set
> t_Co=16` in command-line mode.
>
> I reduced my `vimrc` to the bare minimum needed to reproduce the
> problem, and now it contains a single line:
>
>     set t_Co=16
>
> At this point I'm unsure what to do and ask for your assistance.  I
> attach a log captured by running `vim -V100vim.log` as well as version
> info (`vim --version >vim.version`), and I'm willing to provide any
> other info that may be of help.
>
> Best regards,
> NB

I wouldn't expect Vim to overide that setting, but maybe some script (for
instance some "system vimrc" installed by your sysadmin or your software
distributor) does it behind your back.

The command
        :verbose set t_Co?
should tell you both the current value and where it was set.

If that still doesn't help you, you might try to replace your "set t_Co=16"
statement by

        if has('autocmd') && !has('gui_running')
                au VimEnter set t_Co=16 | syntax enable
        endif

(which would set that setting at the very end of startup, except in gvim
which uses 16777216 colours no matter what you set t_Co to) and see if it
changes anything.

Best regards,
Tony.
Tony.