Try :execute "normal \<c-a>"

Otherwise, you'd have to embed an actual ctrl-A in your script by typing
ctrl-v ctrl-a, which would put a 'weird' character in your script.

I do have a version of the normal command (that I called, creatively,
Normal) that lets me just do :Normal <c-a>. If you're interested, I can
find its definition (I'm typing this from my phone).

Salman