On So, 28 Jan 2024, Sukima wrote:

> Recently there has been a percolating trend to be concerned over GitHub.
> Specifically the
> Give up GitHub plea.

Hm, I might be missing something, but what is the Github plea?

> Since Vim is a FOSS project I was curious what the community thought about
> this.
>
>  1. Pros/Cons?

I don't plan on moving away from Github in particular since this is the
first time I hear some doubts.  I like it's UI, but I don't think we are
so too much in a walled garden. The homepage is separate, we are not
relying on the release feature. However I would miss the issue tracker
and the CI integration.  In fact, I think Github has served us quite
well, but if we would need to find a new home, it should be possible
with some work.

>  2. Is the Vim License worded well enough to weather any CoPilot bubble?

Please expand, why it wouldn't.

>  3. Do the tools compare to other contribution models?

What tools?

>  4. How do other FOSS projects approach the monolithic use of GH?

GH is only part of the Vim project, we are not relying too much on GH
for development of Vim.  I have no idea about other FOSS projects.

>  5. Other praises or concerns?
>
> To quote the famous “Coffee Talk” SNL skit… “talk amongst yourselves.”

Thanks,
Christian
--
We are all so much together and yet we are all dying of loneliness.
                -- A. Schweitzer