Part of the problem with Netscape 2.0 to 4.7x is that it was designed to be
internally multithreaded, using a Netscape thread manager, rather than a
system one*. The root of this came from Mac System 7 and 16-bit Windows. Those
systems didn't have thread managers. The result is a monstrously monolithic
and huge application, which uses so many resources that it can block the
system I/O queues, even on multithreaded, pre-emptive multitasking systems
like OS/2 or Win9x (although perhaps not NT). The system has to be rebooted
because you can't get back to the Finder/WorkPlace Shell/Explorer to kill it
when it hangs.

To their credit, this design provided some real benefits on a 68k Mac. I can
be downloading something while sending an email or reading a web page, etc.

*I think NS 4.x actually uses a system thread manager extension for OS 7.5.5
and earlier.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ / No HTML/RTF in email