I wrote :
> > Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:17:41 -0700
> > From: Alex Allee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > on 8/5/01 9:50 PM, Gregg Eshelman at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Yup, same monitor. Its the Apple Multiple Scan 14
> > > Display model M4222. Anyone have one of these working
> > > right at 832x624?
> >
> > According to both AppleSpec and the Apple Online Museum, that
> > monitor's max
> > resolution is 800x600.
>
> I think I bought one at a junk market for 10 USD. I'm using it on
> my 6100 with an adapter with dip switches (DB-15 to HDI-45), and
> it is definitely doing more than 640x480 (and doing it perfectly).
> I'll check it tonight after work and post the exact resolution.
> No 'on the fly' switching resolutions, though, because of the
> adapter.

I checked, and it is the same monitor. The monitors&sound control panel (OS8.1) on my
6100 only has one possibility : 832x624, 75Hz.
I'm not using any special control panels or software, just the generic system ones.

It probably works because the computer thinks it's a standard VGA monitor at 832x624.

If this is the solution to the problem, you could fool your computer into thinking
this by building a DB15 to DB15 adapter, with the sense pins at the male end wired for
the appropriate VGA monitor.
I've checked the pin codes at <http://www.loten-am-mac.yucom.be/sense.htm>, but the
only mono-sync monitor at 832x624 is a 16" one. It has pins 10 and 4 interconnected,
and pin 7 free.
This will prevent you to switch to other resolutions, however.
This way, you should be able to use the monitor at 832x624 on any vintage mac. (See,
we're on topic.)

Luc