>Where this becomes relevant to the list is that I'm planning on digging out
>my old PowerBook 100 and using it to generate the necessary tones and
>control the robot. I plan on hooking a cable to the audio-out jack and
>wiring this to the robot. The only problem is that the robot's control
>circuits have pretty tight tolerances on what tone quality is acceptable, so
>my question is: Just how clean a tone can the PB 100 or average Vintage
>Mac's sound system produce? For example, if I programmed the '100 to produce
>a 1500Hz tone, how likely is the result to be 1500Hz as opposed to something
>200Hz or so "around" it?

It may depend on how you generate the sound.  There is a primitive tone
generator in the hardware that may not produce sound good enough for what
you want.  But if you use the waveform synthesizer, especially at the
highest rate (22KHz for a PB100 I'd guess) you can generate a fairly high
quality sinewave depending on what the frequency is.  1KHz should be quit
good.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA