--- Alex Allee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Now that I think about it, you can play MP3s on a
> 486. Not
> particularly well, but a 486/100 will do it
> real-time.
>
> I've hit a brick wall on the 475. mpg123 crashes out
> due to a lack of
> FPU (At least that's what it says) and all of my
> Quadras have LC040's. Doh.

The only way I ever got a 486 class PC to play MP3
was to use the AMD 5x86 on a 40Mhz bus so it was
running at 160Mhz. The version of WinAMP available
at the time had an option to cut the playback
quality to 22Khz and downmix stereo to mono. Even
at that it would only play without skipping if
WinAMP was the only thing running.

An MP3 player for an 040 is going to have to be
tons more efficient than WinAMP ever was to play
MP3 with realtime decoding. I'm certain it won't
do 44khz playback even on an 840AV. There might
be a possibility of 44Khz stereo if the player
app used the AV's DSP. But I'll for darn sure bet
that it couldn't do anything but play MP3, just like
my hotted up old 486. ;)

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947