--- Isaac Fried <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This morning Bhavesh Patel wrote:
> >I've fixed the download on the Mac Driver Museum.
> Please try it again.
> Did you try downloading the Lapis driver? It still
> refuses to open. Is it
> possible that my expansion program damages the
> download?

What are you downloading it with? If using Fetch,
set it to Binary, even if it's a .hqx file. I've
found that to be the only sure fire way to get FTP
downloads intact. For some dumb reason, the automatic
setting downloads in text mode anything that it
doesn't
recognize the file extention on. Sooo that ends up
losing the 7th bit of every byte, which trashes the
file, unless it actually happens to be some form of
7bit text encoded file. :P When using Netscape, you
must hold the button on the link until you get the
menu to select the save option. Otherwise it will
download anything it doesn't recognize as (you
guessed it) "text". Same goes for Internet Explorer.

I'd just like to know why most internet programs
default to downloading files as "text" if they don't
recognize the type? It would be best to take the
safe option and download in binary or "raw" mode to
ensure no bits are lost.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
WARNING! Windows XP does not enable the user to fly.