--- Eric McCann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It should (under other names, I think - Klondike? Or
> is that another for
> the original solitaire...) be on any "set" of
> solitaire games. It's
> definately not a Windows exclusive. <g>

Klondike is a different game than Free Cell. Klondike
is one of, if not the simplest solitaire card games.

> (Trivia bit - it was originally included as a "test"
> program with Win32s,
> an addon for Windows 3.1 to let it run "sort of"
> 32-bit programs.... if
> Freecell ran, it was installed properly.)

Most of the PC software released from late 1994
through around 1996 or 97 that said it worked with
Windows 3.1x or 95 used Win32s to run on 3.1x.
Microsoft originally planned to make the version
of Windows after WFWG 3.11 more of a 32bit extension
rather than an all out replacement. As development
progressed MS decided that to better support 32bit
apps they had to start over mostly from scratch.
WinG, which is used by most apps that use Win32s,
was a precursor to DirectX. Microsoft's switch from
Win 3.1x to Win 95 was just as full of questions
about whether or not to keep backwards compatability
as Apple's switch to the PowerPC. Both companies
decided to keep compatability with the old
applications.
IMHO it was a move that hurt both more than it helped.
"Breaking the chain" may have created a drop in
the short term market, but with a fully PPC native
Mac OS and a fully 32bit Windows, both would've had
even better systems than System 7.5 and Windows 95.
Microsoft should've cast off 16bits when the 386
CPU came out. It would've been far easier then with
millions and millions fewer PC systems out there
running "legacy" software to replace.

Perhaps they saw the "failure" of IBM's attempt
to drastically alter the PC hardware platform
with their MCA bus that wasn't backwards compatable
as a reason to not kick 68k or 16bit code out of
the scene. The failure of MCA was due to IBM's
greed at trying to create a closed (or expensive
to license) system, not due to any resistance to
it's superiority over ISA. The rest of the industry
reacted by creating their own 32bit, software
configured bus called EISA that was also compatable
with ISA cards in the same slot. Then Intel came
along with their own 32bit bus called PCI which
didn't require special boot disks or driver changes
just to add, remove or even move cards from one
slot to another. It didn't matter that PCI wouldn't
accept an ISA card, the license for PCI was cheap
and the performance was far enough in advance of
ISA/MCA/EISA/VESA-LB that the peripheral companies
jumped on. (Unlike when they balked at IBM's attempt
to boost ISA from 8Mhz to 10Mhz!)

Apple has benefited from the fractious and vast
PC market. They've picked up USB, PCI, IDE, AGP
from it while providing IEEE1394 "Fire Wire" and
a few other things that the PC side has adopted.
Apple did try to pull an IBM like stunt by originally
demanding a $1 per controller (or was it per port?)
royalty on Fire Wire. With production quantities in
the millions, the PC industry balked at that as
much as they did at IBM's license fees for MCA!
I've never heard how that was settled since you
can hardly buy a new PC without Fire Wire now.

=====
"The earth swarms with inhabitants. Why then should nature,
which is fruitful to an excess here, be so very barren in
the rest of the planets?" Bernard de Fontenelle, 1686
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
My ICQ# 16024947