--- Scott Holder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  From what I've read the ATAPI addition to the IDE
> bus is very similar to
> SCSI. It's why the SCSI emulation under Linux works
> as well as the ease
> with which IDE devices can be used as SCSI devices
> on the various PC Mac emulators.
>
> I haven't read anything on what that means on the
> hardware side of things.

That's why ATAPI devices are handled via an ASPI
(Advanced SCSI Programming Interface) driver
in Windows.) For best results you need to install
a bus master driver from the motherboard's chipset
vendor that makes ATAPI devices show up by name
instead of just "generic". Then you can directly
access and init an IDE hard drive with Basilisk II,
but do so at your own risk and it'll only work with
one partition for some reason. (And only one HFS
partition, no other types on it. Haven't tried
HFS+ with 040 emulation mode yet.)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"