--- Peter Stephenson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> pickle et al,
>
> Re a certain thread in the compact macs list, but to
> keep on topic I'm
> posting here to vintage.
>
> what exactly does a  GPIB General Purpose Interface
> Board, DO?.

http://www.microlink.co.uk/gpib.html

GPIB (Or IEEE-488) was originally developed by
Hewlett Packard as HP-IB then changed to GPIB when
the interface was accepted as an IEEE standard.
It's primary use has generally been in industrial,
medical and scientific equipment.

If you can find one, you could most likely hook up
an HP ThinkJet GPIB printer to your Mac. ThinkJets
are tiny inkjet printers that print about as good
as a 9pin dot matrix, but without the noise. Since
nobody really wants the GPIB or serial ThinkJets,
they're usually available on a "Take it before
I throw it away." basis. ;) (The parallel version has
a tiny but loyal following so they usually sell
for a little money.) There are five types of ink
for the ThinkJet. Black for ThinkJet paper and
black, blue, red and green for plain paper. Since
you can't (AFAIK) get ThinkJet paper anymore,
that type of black ink is pretty well useless. ;)

I have a parallel ThinkJet and I've toyed with the
idea of attempting to do RGB seperations of an
image then print three passes through it on a
transparency. :) Dunno what else I'd do with those
colors of ink.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"