--- Mark Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The only reasins Apple didn't use AUI (a PC-esque
> standard that does
> the same thing) is because it uses the same 15-pin
> D-SUB that the
> Apple Video connector uses. I mean they had enough
> nightmares about
> people accidentally connecting video to the joystick
> port on a PC card,

I saw the results of plugging a Mac monitor's DB15
connector into a DB15 joystick/MIDI port on a PC.
Wires and stuff got quite warm and smoked a rather
large amount. (No, I was not the dummy who did it!)

The other reason for the custom AAUI connector was
to save space. Many network cards for the SE/30
and IIsi had a DB15 AUI port along with a BNC and/or
a RJ45. There wouldn't be much need for the AUI
with the RJ45 and BNC on the card too, but I suppose
some wanted to be able to hook up a Token Ring
transceiver or 10Base-5 or who knows what else
was made to plug into an AUI. But if you want to
be able to connect your SE/30 or IIsi to any network
type, get a NIC with all three ports.

Or you could get hackerish and install both a NIC
and a PDS videocard then replace the AUI connector
with the monitor connector. Just be sure to lable
it VIDEO- NOT AUI! DO NOT CONNECT NETWORK! ;-)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"