The "problem" with Macs and dodgey hard drives is
there's no way to get low level access to ROM routines
for low level formatting a drive. You must boot a
System or Mac OS. Unfortunately if the driver on the
HD is "FUBAR" or incompatable with a driver on
another disk then you're "SOL" when it comes to trying
to boot with the problem drive attached or it just
will refuse to mount even if some utils can see that
there are partitions on it.

I think I sent SCSI Director 1.7.2 and some newer
versions to Gamba. 1.7.2 is so old it has settings
for 3:1 interleave for Mac Plus, 2:1 for Mac SE and
1:1 for Mac Other. :) Some time later, TranSoft
bought SCSI Director, released several versions,
discontinued it sometime around 1997 then shipped it
off to Hewlett Packard when they sold off their SAN
(Storage Area Network) stuff. HP did absolutely
nothing with SCSI Director. One of the HP guys who
moved there from TranSoft e-mailed me a copy of
the last version, which I have *ahem* "helped" a
few others to get. Ask around and you can probably
get it. ;)

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"