Hi Dave,

        This happens if you leave the Voice Over focus on the clock.  Voice
Over will then keep announcing the time each minute as it changes.  Just be
sure the focus is somewhere else and this will not happen.  Or if you are in a
situation where you want to keep track of the time then you have the option to
do so.  This is probably also what is happening to you with the phone when you
keep hearing elapsed time.  This is helpful for those needing to keep careful
time of the usage but if not helpful just change the position of the focus  of
Voice Over.

Hope this helps.

Eric Caron