Hi, whether it's jailbroken or not, you can always put songs on it via a file browser app such as Filer. If you want to use the Music app though, you can get a jailbreak app called PwnTunes. This app basically turns your iPhone into what would be considered a normal usb stick. When it's in this way, you can copy music files to it and build the music library and play the music from the Music app just as if you had synced it. Regarding your contacts, even without jailbreaking you can sync contacts either from iCloud or Google contacts and never use iTunes for that.

Hope this helps.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
How come you never hear about gruntled employees?