I did those exact steps.
When holding the home button, Siri prompt sounds come on. I keep holding the
home button until the Siri has stopped listening Soundz happen. I keep holding
the home button but it never goes back to the home screen. I held the home
button for approximately 2 full minutes.
How long are you waiting between releasing the power button and pressing the
home button?

Richard