I was curious about that Tascam adapter, so I looked it up.
Here is some info from the Tascam web site:
IU2 OVERVIEW
Audio/MIDI Interface For iOS Devices
iM2
TASCAM's iU2 is a premium sound quality audio interface for the iPad, iPhone
and
iPod Touch. It includes all of the features of TASCAM's best-selling USB
audio interfaces,
including a pair of great-sounding microphone inputs. The XLR inputs have
phantom
power for use with high-quality condenser microphones. These feed an onboard
microphone
preamp and A/D converter for better sound performance than those built into
iPhone
and iPad - true stereo recording with low noise and less tendency to
distort. The
inputs also accept line-level signals or you can plug a guitar or bass
directly into
your device.
In addition to compatibility with iOS devices, the iU2 also works with Mac
and Windows
computers. A zero-latency monitoring path allows musicians to hear
themselves directly
through the unit, without any distracting delay. MIDI in and out are
provided to
interface with synths and drum machines, and a digital output connects to
digital
mixers or recorders.

IU2 SPECIFICATIONS
Audio/MIDI Interface for Mac, Windows and iOS devices
Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch
Two XLR mic inputs with phantom power
Two balanced line inputs
Instrument-level input for guitar or bass
MIDI in and out
Onboard A/D conversion for low-noise and distortion when recording with iOS
devices
Zero-latency direct monitoring
S/PDIF Digital Output
Includes USB cable, iOS dock connection cable, XLR to 1/4 conversion cables

HTH,
Richard