From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sandy Tomkins
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 8:49 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Using a portable scanner with an IOS device?

Hi to all,

    Talking with a friend of mine, a fellow iphone and VO user, I am looking
to investigate the possible use of one of those very small and portable
scanners together with an OCR package, such as Prizmo etc for letter/bill
reading.

    Now, i knowb I have always sung the praises of Prizmo/Saytext etc, and I
still do, but I have to admit that for many of us, these camera based Apps
are not very usable. I think that two possible solutions are available to us
right now, which could make these apps more accessible to more of us. The
first would be to use a stand, such as that provided with the KNFB Reader. I
have never seen one of these and don't know if it would hold an iPhone and
so would love to know if anyone here has tried this with one of the OCR Apps
and an iphone.

    The second could be to use one of those very small, almost the size of a
thick ruler, where you feed the paper into it and then it rolls it through,
scanning line by line and creating some sort of JPeg or PDF file, which we
could then use, say, prizmo, to digitalise.
    At the moment, my friend, has got frustrated is thinking of one of the
horrendously, expensive adaptive tech solutions, but I feel sure there is
still a mainstream answer for her. So, does anyone have something useful to
say re a stand or a portable scanner?

    Thanks, Sandy.