Hi Don,

I believe Voiceover only announces if there is a face if you have
"Always" selected in "Settings", "General", "Accessibility"
"Voiceover" and "Navigate Images". Mine was set to "With Descriptions"
and Voiceover would neve rsay anything so last night I changed it and
it then told me I had a face when I pointed the camera at myself. I
think this feature needs a bit of work, I had the phone about a foot
away from my face and Voiceover at first said "Large Face, face
centered", then without me moving the phone as much as half an inch it
immediately went on to say "No face", then it said "
Small face" and so on. I found it hard to get consistancy and often
when it said "One face, large face" or "One face, small face" it would
immediately afterwards say also "No face. Maybe some others who have
used this more often can chime in with their experience. One thing I
am unsure about it what these 3 settings under "Navigate Images"
actually do, i.e. how they differ from each other. There is "Always",
"With Description" or "Never". At first I thought "With Description"
would have to be selected for this face detection thing to work.

I am also not sure what Cory means when he says it would allow the
camera to be closer to you if you use the front camera. I would not
recommend using the front camera, it is a 1 Megapixel camera and the
back camera on the 4S is an 8 Megapixel and I can't see how it can be
closer no matter which way around you hold it. It's not as if you have
to reach around to tap the "Take Picture" button, just use the volume
up key if you want to take a picture of yourself and here it doesn't
really matter whether it is on the left side if the front camera is
facing you or on the right side if you turn the phone around to use
the better camera.