Rebecca, I wrote an explanation of Type In braille that some apparently
found helpful. I am pasting it below in case it helps you. Please let me
know if you have questions. It takes some getting used to but I think that
for us dedicated Braille readers it's great.

Sandy
First off you have to turn the Braille cell on its side in your mind. Don't
think of it as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6; rather, 1, 4; 2, 5; 3, 6. You need to tell
the app what you want to do with all three of those rows for each letter.
A one-finger tap in a row says you want one dot; two fingers says two dots
in that row and a three-finger tap says no dots in that row.  So the way he
describes A initially is:
 1 one-finger tap for the top row
One three-finger tap for the second row
One three-finger tap for the third.

But all you really need to do is the one one-finger tap for the top row, and
then flick one finger to the right. This flicking gesture tells
Type-In-Braille that you are done with that character. This speeds you up
considerably.
B is two one-finger taps followed by a  one-finger right flick.
C is a two-finger tap, just like a Braille c, followed by the right flick.

It takes some practice; K, for instance, is tricky. But  I also like the way
I can edit in it, going back and forth, one letter or word at a time. It
tells me what I am deleting, unlike VO on the phone keypad.

Type-In Braille is meant only for typing text which is then selected and
copied into something else, like an e-mail or Facebook. You cannot do e-mail
addresses or type in search  boxes.

I am so far finding this faster than typing on the keypad on the phone.

Sorry for this long explanation; HTH.