From: Ortwin Gentz [mailto:wher...@futuretap.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Where to and navigation and a VoiceOver question

Hi Richard,
please see my answers inline.

Could you add Mapquest4Mobile to the supported gps apps?

Unfortunately, the Mapquest app does not support being started from third
party apps. So we can't add this app.

I could not find a "gigle" setting, at least I think that is what it said in
the FAQ section about setting a  default gps app.

Sorry, we haven't written this with VoiceOver users in mind. We'll fix this.
There are two ways to set your preferred navigation app:

1.  If you haven't set a preferred app yet, just use the gesture to open the
preferred app: long-tap on the directions button. Using VoiceOver this is a
tap, tap-hold combination. As long as there isn't a preferred app defined
yet, you'll be presented with a popover where you can just select an app. As
soon as you close the popover by tapping somewhere else, the preferred app
is set.

2. If you want to change your preferred app, you have to tap once on the
directions button to open the popover. Then long-tap (that is tap, tap-hold
in VoiceOver) on any app icon to start the jiggle mode. VoiceOver announces
this with "Started editing mode". Then a button named "Set Preferred"
appears on the top-left of the popover which leads you into "set preferred"
mode (unfortunately this isn't announced correctly in VoiceOver in this
version. Currently it just says "Ended editing mode" when it starts the "Set
Preferred" mode.). Now you can select your preferred by selecting it once
and dismissing the popover.

I know this sounds terribly complicated and we'd be glad to make it easier.
We were just not sure whether VoiceOver users could actually make use of
those apps because they are for car navigation mostly. If you could give us
some insight about typical use cases and which apps would be actually useful
for blind users, that would be very helpful to improve the app in the
future.

Also, I'm finding it hard to figure out how to add a place to the favorites
using VoiceOver.  It seems like I'm missing something here.
Thanks for the VoiceOver improvements in the latest version.

This is actually quite easy. On the details page, the button in the bottom
right corner toggles the Favorite state. It says "Favorite Button" when not
favorited and "Selected Favorite Button" when favorited.

Then to access Favorites, you'd go to the Favorites tab on the bottom of the
home screen and select the "Places" tab on the top of the Favorites screen.

Hope that helps. If you've any further questions, I'm glad to help!

Ortwin