Hi Joe,

        I just worked through this largely thanks to the amazing Esther and
others.  Here is a post from Esther on the Macvisionaries list that supplied
info on iTunes match including a helpful podcast and a very helpful article.
Follow this info carefully and you will get the most out of iTunes match.

Hope Esther's post is as helpful to you as it was to me.

Eric Caron

Esther's Post...
Hi Eric,

Have you already listened to the podcast that Jonathan Mosen did about using
iTunes match for this?  He posted to the viphone list, and this podcast is also
up at the AppleVis site under the "Podcasts" listings, but I don't know whether
you're starting from his information or mean your question to go from the
points that he covered.
<begin quote>
Hi everyone, I've been tweeting a bit about iTunes Match this week, and a few
people have asked if I could do an Audioboo on my experiences. So here it is. I
hope people considering it will find it of use.
http://audioboo.fm/boos/859517
<end quote>

There are also some guides that you can find on the web about proceeding, such
as the CNET article on
• "How to use iTunes Match to upgrade audio quality" by Matt Elliott  November
17, 2011:
http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57326759-285/how-to-use-itunes-match-to-upgrade-audio-quality/
You have to actually delete files to have them replaced with the better quality
ones  -- you might check this by trying it on a just a few files, first.

The other issue is what to do if iTunes match doesn't match your files -- which
can occur if the initial encoding is ripped at less than 96 kbps. TUAW had a
solution for that, which was to basically use iTunes to create an aac copy at
128 kbps from the ripped mp3 file.  As long as some version of the file is
shown with an encoding quality of better than 96 kbps, it will try to match the
content based on your labels (even if you got this by resampling your lower bit
rate rip).  Here's the link to the TUAW article if you want to read the details:
* "One trick for getting iTunes Match to recognize older tracks" by Michael
Rose Nov 20th 2011:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/20/one-trick-for-getting-itunes-match-to-recognize-older-tracks/

HTH.  Or maybe someone else who has done this can chime in with suggestions.

Cheers,

Esther