I would like to add that this does take patience, but it's worth it.  I have
certainly gotten better at it with experience.  I've also used the technique of
pressing the camera lens directly the seam  on a can of soup.  Then, slowly
back it away until you hear the beep  and feel the vibration.  Make sure there
is light in the area and you are not blocking it from the item.