From: Sieghard Weitzel
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2015 9:25 PM
Subject: iTunes 12.1.0.71 - initial findings

Hello,

OK, I just played around a bit with this latest iTunes release. I am using
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit and the latest Jaws 16 update.

As I said before, I can still use Control+F to go to the search library
field, tabbing from there I get the same announcement of the radio buttons
like Music, Movies etc. and this section still ends with “More”.

After “More” I get the usual 3 radio buttons, “My Music”, “Playlists” and
“iTunes Store”. Then I get to a button which still is correctly identified
as “Songs” and that is where it needs to be in order for the column browser
to work. I can activate the button and tab into the list of items, however,
all of them (Songs, Albums, Artists, Composers and Genres) are only read by
Jaws as “button”.

If I put it on Songs, the first button in that list, I can tab and I get 4
items which are only announced as “Button” as well. I realized that the
first 3 are my columns (Genre, Artist and Album) and the fourth is the song
list view. I can arrow down in these as before and items are filtered, but
of course Jaws reads only “Button” anywhere you are and it’s very bag.

All I can suggest at this point is to once again flood
accessibil...@apple.com with emails letting them know how useless iTunes
currently is. It may also be of use to inform the maker of whichever
screenreader you use as this may be a fix required on their side. I do,
however, find it unfortunate that something like this isn’t tested by Apple
so it could be caught before a public release and either it could be fixed
or an appropriate warning could be displayed advising screenreader users
that there are problems in the new update and to stick with the previous one
for the time being.

I haven’t decided yet whether I want to downgrade, a Windows Restore would
of course be the simplest solution, but I also installed a new printer since
the update and while reinstalling it wouldn’t be such a big deal, I might
just wait to see if Apple will release an update to fix this or if Freedom
Scientific can come up with a solution so Jaws once again reads all it
should read. I fortunately don’t really use iTunes on a daily bases so
waiting for another update might be OK for me.