the only way this other system will gain traction is when merchants
start sticking customers with a surcharge for using a credit card
instead of cash or this other payment system.  Most merchants pay a
four percent fee  to process a credit card.  One restaurant here in
Chicago with two locations and 150 employees spends more than $125,000
a year on credit card fees.  It is the third largest expense after
building leases and labor.  the restaurant spends more on credit card
fees than it does on food.  I have met entrepreneurs who are
developing credit card processing systems that charge slightly less
then two percent, but this still is a considerable expense.  If Apple
ever adds ACH transfers to Apple Pay, this system is toast.