Hello Brent,

To answer your question:

There is absolutely nothing with which one needs to line up the phone in order
to complete an Apple Pay transaction.

Simply stated, once the cashier rings up your order, all you need do is to hold
the phone over the transaction terminal, with your finger touching the phone's
Touch-ID sensor.  The phone needs to be about 1 to 2 inches above the terminal.

The process is so easy that I no longer engage my Bluetooth headset or attach
any earphones to the phone in order to hear VoiceOver--not that there is
anything in particular to hear.

>From a visual perspective, once the cashier rings up the order, the terminal
>display engages.  It looks like a small television or airport monitor.

When you see this display engage, you simply hold the iPhone about an inch or
so away.  When you do this, the iPhone's display engages also, shoing the
passbook app.  Then, you will feel the phone vibrate and the transaction is
complete.

For those with no vision, and I have used this method, just to see what it is
like:  when the order has been rung up, simply place your secondary hand on the
terminal in order to locate it, then place your primary hand, with your finger
on the Touch-ID sensor of the phone, about 1 or 2 inches away from your
secondary hand and the process will work just fine.

Writing about it will always sound more involved than actually doing it.

I have become so comfortable with the process, that I no longer even hold the
phone 2 inches away from the terminal but, rather, simply place the backside of
my hand, holding the phone in the required manner of course, against the
terminal and wait until I feel the phone vibration.

In line, today, a patron standing beside me at an adjacent terminal, apparently
after witnessing my technique said, "That's the coolest way I've ever seen that
done.  I'm going to do that next time."  We all laughed and I thanked him.

Mark